Monday, July 23, 2007

MBD

One of the benefits to being into good music is that you get turned onto other good music.

The opening act for Rasputina was
My Brightest Diamond, and while I was expecting folkie solo guitar songcraft, as my slight research had done, Shara Worden came packing a full band (and lucky me for it was the only tour stop she had backing). Although she did cover the lovely Weil tune “Youkali” solo (and in French, no less), her guitar playing and singing were well framed by her backing musicians.

Somewhere between the accompaniment of a string section, Kate Bush vocal theatrics, coffeehouse indie songwriting, and the pages of a cute art school girl’s diary, My Brightest Diamond exists. While Famous Mom took a pass when she heard lyrics of dragonflies and spider webs (and on Rasputina to boot), I recommend the more curious amongst you check
it out.

No comments: