Wednesday, August 1, 2007

From The "No Shit!" Files


University of Texas clinical psychology professor Cindy Meston knows how to waste time. And I don't mean piss away a Sunday, I'm talking about five years.

An exhaustive study of the "why" behind sex yielded a list of the 237 reasons people have sex, and that researchers found that young men and women get intimate for mostly the same motivations. Right there I would tell you how pointless and stupid this was, but when I see that their spending wasn't limited to five years time but included their own money to do the study, I don't mind so much.

The college-aged men and women agree on their top reasons for having sex — they were attracted to the person, they wanted to experience physical pleasure and "it feels good," and that 20 of the top 25 reasons given for having sex were the same for men and women. Is this even news? Perhaps in Texas...having sex because it feels good seems to be a slam dunk on the common knowledge court, but I think there's a lot of Lone Star inhabitants still trying to wrap their delicate noggins around bigger concepts like evolution that are still messing them up.

No comments: