Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The King Is Dead


With her 18th top single, "Touch My Body", Mariah Carey has achieved two things over Elvis Presley - she's alive, and has passed him for the most number one singles on the Billboard singles chart.

Carey is now second only to the Beatles...in number ones (20), and not anything else.

"I really can never put myself in the category of people who have not only revolutionized music but also changed the world," Carey said. Okay, so don't.

"That's a completely different era and time ... I'm just feeling really happy and grateful." Carey said being in such company was gratifying not only because of her personal success, but what it meant for women and minorities. "For me, in my mind the accomplishment is just that much sweeter," she said. "In terms of my ethnicity, always feeling like an outsider, always feeling different ... for me it's about saying, 'Thank you Lord, for giving me the faith to believe in myself when other people had written me off.'"

Yes, before you Mariah, God had shunned all other minorities and women, but after seeing you in Glitter, he realized that it was just a little extra faith in yourself that would help you be the leader you are again today.

Madonna also topped The King this week (no, she didn't mount him like everyone else in entertainment). Her song "4 Minutes" put her above Elvis for the most top 10 hits - her 37th. Clearly, both Madonna and Mariah are better artists than Elvis because they have surpassed his records, and Billboard is super-reputable for verifying artistic talent and credibility. Hey, the people can't be wrong, right?

No comments: