Monday, August 25, 2008

Spin The Black Circle




In addition to hanging with Herr Docktor and Wee-bey over the weekend, they gave unto me a nifty little record player that would have perhaps had a play or too before getting mothballed (THANKS!!!). I plugged it it to my system and went through some of the old platters I listen to in my youth - original records from The Doors, Beatles, and Stones that Famous Mom and Dad bequeathed to me.

Awesome.

Now that I could enjoy those relics, I found a local shop that had used vinyl and picked up a few more to add to my collection. What will $11 get you? Try Look Sharp and Night & Day from Joe Jackson, Listen Like Thieves from INXS, Ghost In The Machine from The Police, and perhaps the score of the trip, Voices from Hall & Oates (worth it for the cover alone).

I'm not going to be one of those snob audiophiles who gives a shit about the purity of records or the cold digital CD tone - I just think it's cool to be able to have the novelty of playing records, especially when there's already a decent collection to listen to. If you've got a few dollars, it's a cheap thrill...

No comments: