Friday, November 14, 2008

Penultimate Weekend

Amongst all else going on, this is the last weekend I'll be working on His Words - Not Mine, book one.

If you haven't been following it, you're a dick, but there's 24 gloriously duo-authored chapters already waiting for you. But now is my last shot before I hand over the last chapter to Scartoe to (hopefully) wrap up with a nice, tidy bow. It has become a joy and a hassle committing the time to it, but I am very happy with the results and the effect of the process.

The real trouble is determining what needs to go in to steer this bitch to a conclusion, and knowing that it's got to be clear since I have no second chance to clean up or clarify. Plus there's the urge to try and wrap some elements up because, even though the trick has been to trade off chapters without any planning, discussion, or sharing of ideas, I know we both have been building up to a finish that is not necessarily shared - and I think we both want to try and end with the story we have been (separately) working up to. Also, it felt like there was a lot of ground to cover across the chapters, but now that we're at the end, you realize that you've got to reach the termination and you've only got so much time to do it. I expect these last two to be on the heavier end in terms of volume / word count.

Thankfully, I've been thinking about this all week - unlike my routine for the latter chapters where I'm able to read it when it posts, and then once again before I start before seeing what inspiration strikes. I'm not concerned about hitting that finish line, but I know that this will not be as easy as it has been as of late.

No comments: