Friday, November 30, 2007

Six, Sick Six

On the eve of six hundred posts, I feel somewhat nostalgic, but also a tad bloated. Either one could be chicken flautas.

Entering the winter of my discontent, I remember the good times from the spring and summer of my discontent, and all the fine posts I made. You remember them too, right?

To quote the fine Oderus Urungus, nothing has changed here. We’re still the same, loveable, down to Earth kinda motherfuckers that fit you like a glove. Yeah, I said “we”, the royal we, us – because fractured personalities demand their own acknowledgement. Thankfully I can agree to whatever meal demands they make as part of their exclusive contracts to work on IOvUF – you feed one, you feed them all. But this isn’t about eating or split personalities, this is about commemorating milestones.

We stand on the shoulders of giants, but also on lesser individuals, because when it comes to wiping our dirty feet on people, we don’t discriminate. Other than our exacerbation, we could just as easily add “Talent Borrows, Genius Steals” to our banner. And maybe we will, but then we’d want to add all kinds of other pithy bits like “Down On The Upside”, “Beyond the Obvious” , or “I Am The Liquor”. But this isn’t about trailer parks or IQ, this is about paying homage.

Many people ask, “Famous M, how do you come up with the myriad stories and ideas you share on a near daily basis?”, to which I kindly answer by throwing an empty bottle at their head. But seeing as I’m mostly sober, I will share some of my favorite places, where lurking becomes inspiration, and resistance becomes strength. Some things just come to me, but I also suckle interweb teet to feed and redress the spin you fine folks may not realize covers the truth like film on pudding. But this isn’t about tapioca skin or Bowflex, this is, in no particular order, what makes Yours Famously tick.

Yahoo! News – my home page and basic launch point for what’s happening. It is by far the most diverse of the major news pages, and the easiest to navigate with simple click-and-link by topic. With a liberal amount of pictures for their stories, the foundation for my farcical analysis is simple to lay.

What Would Tyler Durden Do? – hands down the funniest, most vicious entertainment / celebrity blog out there (and appropriately named for it’s patron saint). One of my first stops of the day, not so much to see what’s breaking, but just to get into the right, nasty frame of mind.

Deus Ex Malcontent – another cornerstone point of interest. Chez takes his posting far further personally, but if you were a form heroin user with a heavy media background who recently had brain surgery, you’d have more to mine. Similar in tone to this fine blog, but with a more a more refined, intellectual touch. And his wife is a dreamy piece of ass.

Boing Boing – a more recent addition, this link dump also has brief explanations, pictures, and article excerpts. It covers a pretty wide swath of modern culture (technology, the arts, ), plus the oddball and the retro.

YouTube – as if it even needs mention, I wouldn’t have a single moving frame without them.

Death From Below – combing the interweb for an appropriate picture to correspond to their daily mp3 link, some of the more disturbing and outlandish images I find are there. Sure, the tunes are a little heavy on the rap / DJ side, but fanboys can find some rare tracks and remixes.

Monkeys For Helping – another oddity site with trippy clips, pix, and generally forgotten pieces of entertainment. And with good reason – mostly the bad ones that went into creating them.

DataWhat? – aside from hyping his former band or aping his sister site for new dads, cultural quips and dumped links end up here, ripe for the pickings.

I can think of about a dozen more sites that make the general rotation, but those consistently get hit…and now you can hit that shit too.

No comments: