Thursday, November 15, 2007

Serenduplicity

They can't claim it's not an original experience...

Venerable olde-timey Manhattan ice creamery and treatatorium
Serendipity 3 was closed by health officials after it failed it's second inspection in a month. An inspector spotted a live mouse and mouse droppings, fruit flies, house flies and more than 100 live cockroaches.

"Both inspections revealed rodent and fly infestation and conditions conducive to pest infestation, including stagnant water in the basement," the department said.

People have stood in line for hours outside the Little Italy restaurant known for its extravagant and expensive desserts. It's $25,000 Frrrozen Haute Chocolate features top-grade cocoa, edible gold and shavings of a luxury truffle and was declared the most expensive dessert in the world by Guinness World Records (you know how I feel about those jerks). The eatery also offers a $1,000 sundae named Golden Opulence requiring 48-hour advance notice.

Many many years ago, Famous Cousin took me to the eatery for a late night snack, and while it was delicious, I was stuck by the general filth and cramped quarters. There were flies buzzing about and there was no possible way to move between tables without asking every person to move their chair. I did like the decor, which was very Victorian flea market, but it felt like I was in a run down tenement building. Last year, I took the ex Mademoiselle Famous there, and little had changed in their favor. I am not surprised in the least they got popped for health violations, but it's weird that all the pictures I found online are all nice and beautiful. Did I eat in their goddamn dungeon?

No comments: