Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ballers Brews

Only in England would a professional athlete decide to break for an early pint before his match is even complete. What, that's not acceptable?

Burnley midfielder Kevin McDonald did just during their recent Manchester United match. Man-U was up 5-0 at halftime when McDonald got replaced, so he did what any footballer would do in that situation — he went to the pub. McDonald had friends and family in town from Scotland, and when he got replaced, he decided to hit up the 110 Club, a brisk five minute walk from the stadium, to watch the second half of his own game.

He was punished by his club with a fine and a forced apology. McDonald said, “I now realize it was naive, disrespectful and totally wrong of me to leave the ground at halftime on Saturday. It was a gross misjudgement and instead I should have remained at Turf Moor to support my club and teammates." And watch them get the piss kicked out of them. “I acknowledge that I also showed a serious lack of respect to all the fans who were at the ground and who pay good money to watch their team play. I would like to apologize to the players, management and supporters and I have accepted my punishment.”

Five - nothing in soccer is like being down by 18 touchdowns in American football, and this guy is apologizing? He's a Englishman, and they like their pubs and their football. usually at the same time.

No comments: