Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Flyweight For A Dumbell

Punte at With Leather was getting inundated with this story:

About 75 of you have sent me this story about the Chilean Olympic weightlifter who didn’t realize she was preggers until she gave birth in the middle of a training session to a preemie. Elizabeth Poblete, who’s actually a 22-year-old Brazilian, gave the world a new innovation to the “snatch” event when she gave birth to a 2.5-pound baby boy last week.

The gym's head coach, Horacio Reis described the birth as a surprise. "A week (before the birth), I acted as a judge in a competition in Chile and this girl was competing. All went well and she won the competition...I could see she was a big girl, round and strong. That’s all I noticed.”

The baby boy is in ICU in a Sao Paulo hospital, and there’s no indication that anyone knows who the father is. I can’t imagine that there was a line around the block for a woman as big, round and strong as that. Although I wouldn’t mind to have a woman grab me and hoist me over her head right before achievement. Just once.

No comments: