Thursday, October 23, 2008

Jurisque

So, day one of the actual trial!

Let's just say that I don't think we're going to get done that fast. We beat those massive delays, but now the trouble is inside the court. See, there are three defendants, and each has their own attorney...no problem there, right? Wrong. I have always seen defense attorneys as slightly lower on the food chain than baby rapists and scientologists. But why, Famous M? Are the accused not afforded their defense? Oh yes, but now we have three times the slimy, conniving scumbaggery than normal.

The first witness took the stand after all the opening statements, but nearly everything that was asked by the DA was objected to - from having to make each and every piece of evidence be reintroduced with background and foundation to complaining that information on evidenciary slides were leading the witness testimony because they labeled things like the name of the objects in the picture (which even the judge agreed was there for ease of understanding). So it's a tactic to wear out the prosecutor to make her slip up or just slow down her presentation so that we're getting it disjointed or maybe even a stall just to keep the accused free that much longer - whatever. It's fucking pissing me off. And the judge too.

I never liked them or thought to go into the defense route when I was in a law school vein, and my scorn for them has been proven in spades this day. The defendants will get their fair trail, but if I was adjudicating on the performance of those three, I'd issue the death penalty. In more interesting legalities, during our afternoon break, I went down to the 13th floor (I know, there's not supposed to be one) snack shop for a diet soda jolt and guess who was standing there?

Goddamn right! Mr. Wall Of Sound and I'll Shoot You In The Face himself, Phil MF Spector! He was there with his attorney and I believe his wife, and his hair / wig was an awesome new WTF look. It was long, like 70's Allman Brothers long, but still that greasy, stringy look. and I knew he was small, but the man is tiny. Old, and seriously tiny. I wanted to tell him he engineered and produced the shit out of some great records, but I really wanted to get that soda. Plus he knew I recognized him and gave me a pretty weird look.

The good news (if you can call this some) is that the court is dark tomorrow, so I'll get to do some work. But that means that's one more day the trial is not moving forward.

No comments: