Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Round Three With The Legal System

Again spending time in the cogs of the legal system with jury duty...

Today we finally got down to getting rid of some people! After all the asinine answers, the counsellors started picking and flicking potentials. I have to give props to the Deputy District DA who saved her lot of removals until the three defense attorneys had exhausted theirs. Sadly, I was rotated into the jury box, and kept in there. Meh.

It does suck a good deal, although it is interesting to see the whole thing firsthand. I just wish it didn't interfere with work, because there's plenty to do and plenty I'm missing.
An equally ugly downside is that in the morning, after lunch, and for the afternoon break, we were held out of the courtroom an extra 30 minutes. I understand there were procedural issues that we being dealt with, but an hour and a half is a lot of time to sit around and not be moving the case along. It will be no surprise that jury selection started last Wednesday and took a full week to complete. Did I say meh? Yeah, well...meh again.

No comments: