Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tonight, Los Angeles Is Howling!

A Vincent Moon clip of the band...if there's any bells rang, that's because La Blogotheque is also know as the home of the Take Away shows, that our pal Jeremy often shoots with audio by Rybot. Yeah, there's some MAGNA ones that will hopefully see the light of day.


UPDATE:
Damn, that was a great show! Having already done the first tour leg on their latest album, this time around was a more diverse and farther reaching setlist, with several first time performances for me.

Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home
(Young Team)
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
(The Hawk Is Howling)
Travel Is Dangerous (Mr Beast)
I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School (The Hawk Is Howling)
Christmas Steps (Come On Die Young)
Killing All The Flies
(Happy Songs For Happy People)
I Know You Are But What Am I? (Happy Songs For Happy People)
Summer (Young Team)
Auto Rock (Mr Beast)
Hunted By A Freak
(Happy Songs For Happy People)
You Don't Know Jesus (Rock Action)
Glasgow Megasnake (Mr Beast)
My Father My King (
single)

The band managed to take at least one track off every album, and it was a huge thrill to see "Glasgow Megasnake" and "I Know You Are But What Am I?" played. Guitarist Stuart mentioned how much the band we happy to be playing at a beautiful theater like the Orpheum, and I think that translated on stage. The band itself, while never one to be gushing or overly-demonstrative, really expressed themselves in the most obvious way possible - through the vibe of their music. And at a show like this, that connection between the band and the audience was solid.

Most notable was their amazing rendition of "Christmas Steps". LA can sometimes be a crowd of dickheads, but this group was generous and respectful, and that was evident midway through the song, where the guitars and bass thin out to just one instrument, getting softer and softer until almost inaudible. The room was completely still, and as the notes were played, it was as though it was a challenge to see how much quieter it could get before the fans broke their silence - but we never did. I think everybody, including the band, was just stunned by the focus. The following section and crescendo were so much more dynamic because of the meditative calm of that moment.

Just a terrific show and a really inspired group of songs. It felt like a gift with such an array of songs from their repertoire, and while there's always one or two you hope the band will play, there's no complaining when a group of tunes like this is performed.

No comments: