Tuesday, July 27, 2010

LA's Red Wing

The LA Kings announced that they signed a Russian LW for the upcoming season...and it wasn't Ilya Kovalchuk. Or their UFA Alexander Frolov (he's now a New York Ranger*).

Enter Oleksiy Volodymyrovych "Alexei" Ponikarovsky (that's Олексій Володимирович Понікаровський to you), who landed a one year-$3 million deal after his
recent camapign with Toronto and Pittsburgh, where he scored 21 goals and 50 points. Ponikarovsky has scored at least 20 goals in four of the past five seasons, and is hoping to stay in the same town come next season. “I hope it’s going to be a long-term relationship after one year,” he said. “This was the first time I ever experienced the free agency process, and so it was both exciting and tough. I’m happy it’s over, and that I know the team I’m going to be playing for next season. It’s a young team playing great hockey. I’ve followed the team, how they play and where they are at, so I know it’s going to be an exciting year.”

Ponikarovsky has been called a solid two-way forward, and handled a significant offensive role in Toronto despite their poor showing over the last few years. He scored a career-high 61 points in 2008-09, including 23 goals. And in 11 postseason games with the Penguins last spring, he scored five points. “I’m 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, and I know what my game is,” Ponikarovsky said. “I have to use my size and basically go hard to the net—take the puck there, protect the puck in the corners and finish my checks, all the basic stuff that a guy my size has to do, along with scoring some goals and helping my team win.” He's like late season filler Fredrik Modin, but a decade younger and healthy.

The deal for Ponikarovsky still leaves the LA roughly $10 million under the salary cap, though there's not much left in the free agent realm. There's still trades to be made, and there is a possibility that a top scorer or defenseman could be acquired before the season opener.

* One other Russian, Artem Anisimov, plays on the Rangers. Perhaps they will run a line with the threesome of Frolov - Anisimov - Gaborik...the FAG line?

No comments: