Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's Not A Play And There's No Music

Last night I saw the Janeane Garofalo / Marc Maron / Henry Rollins bill at the Silent Movie Theater. All three delivered solid sets – a total of about 3 ½ hours worth, and I was pleasantly surprised with both Garofalo and Maron having never seen them live. Rollins, as usual, had many interesting stories to tell, comically infused with his anger and sensibility. He was looking slimmer and a touch grayer than when I saw him with his band last August, but still spry and fit for being 46…no matter how much he self-effaces about other people being able to kick his ass, I still wholeheartedly believe he would pound a lot of folks into the ground, myself included. Garofalo (who was shorter than I imagined) added charm to her deadpan, almost conversational delivery and Maron (who was taller than I thought) was sharp and introspective with his musings.

All three ran the gambit from personal to political material, and the line-up was well suited to the audience -- sure they were preaching to the converted, but aside from Sarah Silverman or David Cross, there's not a lot of other commedians that fit the hipster / intelligencia mold with such savvy. Although they have their own personality and style distinctions, they are like the offspring of Bill Hicks to me -- edgy, satirical, informed, and frighteningly accurate. It was not a Dane Cook / Carlos Mencia crowd for sure, thank God.

Anyway, there’s still a couple more shows this week, so if you can get your hands on a ticket I highly recommend it…but if you can’t swing it, I’d say any one of them on their own is a safe bet.

No comments: