Friday, February 11, 2011

A Direct Hit!

Sony was successful in getting a temporary restraining order against a hacker who put a PS3 jailbreak online. But who do they go after when they do it themselves?

Travis La Marr tweeted @TheKevinButler the PS3 jailbreak code, and  challenged him with, “Come at me”. The Kevin Butler twitter account is actually run by Sony as part of their marketing campaign centered on the (fictional) character who is the Vice President of many nonexistent departments. Their response?  Sony retweeted the jailbreak code in its entirety along with the retort, “Lemme guess . . . you sank my Battleship?”  No, not just your battleship, the entire fleet...

The tweet was removed and the company hasn’t commented on it. But more tweets from La Marr have gone up.  He says he “can’t wait for my name to show up on the list of subpoenas for Sony.” and  “Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes Sony to contact me for embarrassing them & doing what I did? Calling it ‘My Defense Fund’” By the way, he later added he doesn’t even own a PS3.

No comments: