Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Weezer Sucks

There's a growing opinion that Weezer has not been able to replicate the quality and songcraft of their debut album, and that each successive album has been worse than the last.  But James Burns hates Weezer so much, he's trying to raise enough money to get them to stop making music altogether.

Recently, Burns launched an online fundraiser to collect $10 million in hopes of sending Weezer to early retirement, The (Seattle) Stranger reported. Despite only raising $2000 to this point, the movement isn't so much about his own feelings for the band, but rather the anguish Weezer has cause their followers. "This isn't about me. This is about Weezer fans," Burns wrote on the website. "This is an abusive relationship, and it needs to stop now. I am tired of my friends being disappointed year after year."

Drummer Patrick Wilson jokingly responded to raise the stakes.  "If they can make it to 20, we'll do the 'deluxe breakup!'". The Stranger interviewed Burns, and he said he'll try and go the distance to raise the money. And as for angry reactions to his fundraising, Burns claims he doesn't mind.  "I am not afraid of Weezer fans," Burns said. "I can take it. Besides, I'm doing this mostly for them."

Weezer's latest album arrives in early November, so he'll have to step it up if he's going to stop that release.


UPDATE: Looks like Jimmy has gone all soft and weak - like Weezer, album after album. He posted the following:

Hey, I’m going to break character here for a minute, okay? Okay. The amount of attention this thing has gotten is unreal. I expected to ruffle a few feathers, but this is pretty insane. So, I’ll be shutting this campaign down at noon on Monday.

Why?

Well, I didn’t raise $10 Million, and Weezer are still a band, but I accomplished everything I ever hoped to.  I figured since the internet wasted so much of my time with all the ridiculous articles about the new Weezer album, I thought I’d return the favor and waste some of the internet’s time. Boy howdy, did I succeed. So in case there was any doubt (and if there was, all I can say is that you’re dumber than me) that this campaign was anything more than a giant piss-take, I’ll leave you with these last words: I did it for the lulz.
toodle pip,
James

No comments: